What to do with your old furniture?

Recycling furniture items can be difficult. Presently there is no way to get furniture items to compost if the wood products have been pressure treated or coated with lacquers or resins. At Muse and Merchant, we want to offer as many solutions as possible. This leaves people with the option of either reusing, selling, recycling, or disposing of the furniture in a landfill. You can call 1-800-GOT-JUNK. https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en. They do recycle untreated furniture items and help deliver items to charity when possible, according to their website. Canadian Mattress Recycling will recycle most furniture. https://canadianmattressrecycling.com/

Bamboo Furniture

If you want to go the route of giving away your old furniture items, you do have certain options.

Craig’s List is a perennial favorite of clients, as is Kijiji.

You can go to:
1) https://www.kijiji.ca/b-furniture/vancouver/c235l1700287
2) https://vancouver.craigslist.org/d/furniture/search/fua
3) Facebook market place is another option.

If you prefer to give items to charity.


(They) offer pickup service in Vancouver, Burnaby (west of Royal Oak) and Richmond. Please contact the Coordinator: [email protected]

(They) pick up furniture for a minimum $50 donation. Drivers can accept cash, cheque or credit card or you may donate in advance online. They have also made the following statement on their website: “We are fortunate and grateful that we have many generous donors who have helped HomeStart set a high standard for the quality of donations we accept.”

What (they) accept:

* Night-tables & dressers
* Kitchen & dining room tables
* Chairs & sofas (no sofa beds)
* Armchairs
* Coffee tables
* Bookcases
* TV’s & VCR/DVD players
* Radios

Curbside Service

Certain cities also pick up furniture using curbside service:

1) City of Richmond – To schedule collection of up to four items per year, residents can contact the City’s service provider, Sierra Waste Services Ltd Customer Service at 604-270-4722 or schedule online at: https://www.richmond.ca/services/recycling/service.htm

2) City of New Westminster – For larger items requiring disposal, the City may be able to offer a special pick-up where the item(s) can be collected from the curb for a fee. Special pick-up inquiries can be made by calling: Engineering Operations at 604-526-4691. Please note: some restrictions apply. No refunds will be issued once payment is made.

3) City of Burnaby – Maybe. Call us (the city, from their website) to find out what we accept for large item pick up at 604-294-7972 before you place it outside, and we can arrange your pick-up date. Please note: All mattresses are required to be completely wrapped and sealed in plastic for collection.

4) City of Coquitlam – Residents who receive the City’s curbside collection service can have up to four large household items collected each year (July 1 to June 30) by choosing one of the following options:

a) Put out 4 items at the same time, once per year, or;
b) Put out 1, 2 or 3 items at different times of the year (to a maximum of 4 per year).

To schedule a Large Item Pick-up, please call Waste Connections of Canada at 604-636-3521.

5) City of Maple Ridge – Ridge Meadows Recycling provides a fee-for-pickup service and will pick up any large, recyclable item(s) within the Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows area, including mattresses. The pickup service includes anything that can be recycled at the Maple Ridge Recycling Depot such as fridges, freezers, stoves, furnaces, hot water tanks, barbecues, washers, dryers, TVs, computers, dishwashers, and other large appliances or electronics.

Download the RMRS A to Z List, listing what is accepted for recycling at the Depot.

Note: we do not pick up any corrosive, flammable, explosive, or otherwise hazardous materials. To request a pick up or quote, call 604-463-5545 or go to https://rmrecycling.org/recycling-pickup/large-item-pickup-service.

6) City of Port Coquitlam – NO

7) City of Vancouver – NO. There is a dump on Kent below Marine drive near Cambie Street.

If you do not see your city listed it would be best to call up the municipality to check on their services.